Skip to main content

I don’t think Wizards of the Coast is lying about their sales—but...

 


I don’t think Wizards of the Coast is lying about their sales—but I do think they might be measuring the wrong thing.

Most of their revenue comes from selling product to distributors and retailers, not directly to players. That means their “success” is based on how much product gets ordered upfront, not how much actually gets opened, played, or enjoyed.

And that creates a dangerous gap.

Because distributors don’t feel what players feel. They don’t experience product fatigue. They don’t sit down and play Commander. They don’t care if a set is fun—they care if it sells.

So if Wizards is primarily reacting to distributor demand, they might be getting delayed or distorted feedback on what players actually want.

That could explain why we’re seeing more product releases, faster cycles, and sometimes weaker long-term engagement—even while sales numbers look strong on paper.

The question isn’t “Are they making money?”
The question is: “Are they building a game players actually want to keep playing?”

Because those are not always the same thing.

 

Any how that just my thoughts

 

~M 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Weakest Deck at the Table Still Wins (Supplement)

  The Weakest Deck at the Table Still Wins I don't usually do this. Most of what I make lives in the video and stays there. But the deck tech format only gives me so much room — rapid-fire card talk doesn't leave space for the why behind the picks, and some of that why is worth more than a soundbite. So I'm trying something new: a written companion piece to go with the video, digging into the parts that didn't fit. If this is useful, let me know — I'd like to know whether it's worth doing again for future videos, or whether it's better left as a one-off. I don't remember the games this deck has lost. That's not me being modest, and it's not selective bragging either — it's just true. I can tell you the exact turn Whiptongue Hydra cleared a sky full of dragons. I can tell you what it felt like when a $25 deck put a $400 deck in the graveyard. Ask me about a loss, though, and I've got nothing specific. My brain doesn't file those aw...
  Nobody's Coming for You Personally (And That's Why You Should Play Harder) Derrick from Super Fast Tortoise said something on his morning show that made me stop and think: he wants to play more assertively. Maybe even aggressively. My first instinct was the same one every Commander player has: careful, that's how arms races start. I don't think that's true. Here's why. Two Different Levers "Assertive play" is a mindset. How you pilot. Develop every turn. Take the line instead of waiting for a safer one. Apply pressure. You can do all of that with a Bracket 2 precon. An "arms race" is a deckbuilding problem. Cards getting swapped for stronger cards, session after session, until nobody's having fun even though everyone's winning more. Two different levers. You can pull one without the other. I've watched a totally passive stax pile — hold everything up, combo off turn twenty — that's more of an arms-race deck than an a...

The Slopification of Magic: The Gathering — A Game Eating Itself

  If you've been playing since the Urza block, the Mirrodin era, the original Ravnica, or even just early Innistrad — you know what I mean. You remember what it felt like when a new set dropped and it felt like a gift, not a product launch. That feeling isn't gone. But it's getting harder to find. The Slopification of Magic: The Gathering — A Game Eating Itself By a long-time player who remembers what it used to feel like There's a word floating around internet culture right now: slop . It refers to the flood of low-effort, algorithmically-generated, quantity-over-quality content that increasingly drowns out anything made with genuine care. We see it in AI-generated images, in streaming content, in fast fashion. And if you've been playing Magic: The Gathering for more than a few years, you've been watching it happen to your favorite card game — slowly at first, then all at once. I've been playing Magic for a long time. Long enough to remember when a ...